Nobody would enjoy swimming in a dirty pool, and hiring pool cleaners do not come cheap. That is why pool owners are advised to have their own robotic pool cleaners, not only to save on costs but to ensure that your pool is clean as well. Not all robotic pool cleaners are of good quality and do a good job, and due diligence is required when buying one in order to get a cleaner that will give you the best performance, and satisfactory results. Pool cleaners come in three types; suction cleaners, pressure cleaners, and robotic cleaners.
Suction and pressure pool cleaners are manual, while robotic cleaners as the name suggests, are self-propelled. Robotic cleaners are suitable for large pools and use electricity, which means you need to have a power source not far from the pool. Another advantage of robotic cleaners is that they do not tire you out as they are automatic- you just need to place them in the pool and remove them when the job is done.
Best Robotic Pool Cleaners in 2017
Some of the things that you need to look out for when buying a robotic pool cleaner is the ability to adjust the hose buoyancy and main flow. This enables the cleaner to be able to work on pools of any size. The hose length is also important, and the cleaner should be able to go from one side of your pool to the other with a few meters to spare. According to market research, sales and customer reviews, these are the top 10 robotic cleaners in the market currently.
- 10. Polaris Model F9450 Sport
- 9. Pentair Model 360032 Kreepy Krauly Prowler 830 Robotic Inground Pool Cleaner
- 8. Zodiac Model F5B Polaris
- 7. Hayward RC9990CUB TigerShark Quick Clean Robotic Pool Cleaner
- 6. Dolphin Quantum Robotic Inground Pool Cleaner
- 5. POOL ROVER S2 40, US, JET, 115VAC/48VDC, BLUE
- 4. Smartpool NC22 SmartKleen-Robotic Pool Cleaner
- 3. Hayward RC9740 SharkVac Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner
- 2. Aquabot ABTTJET Turbo T Jet Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner
- 1. Aquabot APRVJR Pool Rover Junior Robotic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner, Color May Vary.
10. Polaris Model F9450 Sport
This is a powerful pool cleaner that can get even the most stubborn debris out of your pool. The filter is easy to remove so it can be emptied and also simple to replace. The Polaris model F9450 can clean pools of up to 50 feet long, and another good thing about this model is that the cable does not tangle. Due to this fact, it does not rely on a booster pump or water pressure to operate. When it comes to cleaning the bottom of the pool, the Polaris does a commendable job and has no problems when it comes to climbing the sides of pools. The brushes that these cleaner uses are also of high quality with the ability to even remove algae.
- The Polaris Model F9450 is quite pricey and can be placed in the high-end category.
9. Pentair Model 360032 Kreepy Krauly Prowler 830 Robotic Inground Pool Cleaner
The Pentair model 360032 is a heavy duty model that weighs in at 45 pounds and has a large ’19×19’ inch footprint. This enables it to clean pools incredibly fast. This pool cleaner has the ability to scrub, vacuum and filter the water and removing any debris in the water. With this cleaner, you can schedule cleanings at your convenience, or when the pool is not busy. Since it is a smart cleaner, you can direct and reverse it to missed spots, and it usually does reverse itself most of the time. It is easy to set up and is very quiet when working.
- Getting a mechanic to service this pool cleaner is a challenge, and the company that manufactures it, prefer to repair a faulty unit instead of replacing it. This can be quite inconveniencing if you get a defective model.
8. Zodiac Model F5B Polaris
This is a fairly priced robotic pool cleaner; but that does not mean it will not deliver, although it requires a Polaris booster pump. It comes with 30 feet of hose which is fair enough and rarely tangles up. The Zodiac F5B can work in pools constructed with any material, be it concrete, fiberglass, vinyl or gunite. It has exceptional abilities when it comes to cleaning the sides of a pool, the bottom included. The Zodiac is an affordable, reliable and durable pool cleaner.
- Since it needs a booster pump, this means extra costs. Also, this cleaner ejects water jets while cleaning which can be annoying.
7. Hayward RC9990CUB TigerShark Quick Clean Robotic Pool Cleaner
The Hayward pool cleaner is also fairly priced, and the cleaner is available with or without a caddy. When it comes to small and fine debris and large leaves, this cleaner does a commendable job. In the event you will need a caddy, you have to cough up a few more dollars. Generally, this can be classified as a decent pool cleaner, that does the jobs basics, and it will keep your pool clean.
- The biggest setback of this pool cleaner is that you can easily return all the dirt that has been sucked back into the pool while removing it from the pool to change the filter.
6. Dolphin Quantum Robotic Inground Pool Cleaner
The Dolphin Quantum cleaner has one of the most advanced systems among its peers. It comes with dual cleaning brushes and does an excellent job of cleaning pool walls, including pool bottoms. It is equipped with variable micron filters that have the ability to remove almost everything. All debris that is left behind by other cleaners, this Dolphin cleaner will pick them up, and the filters of this pool cleaner are easy to remove and replace. It has an anti-tangle cord that is 60 meters in length and can do deep drop offs without breaking.
- After cleaning, you have to pull this cleaner out of the water slowly, as the filter easily comes off and can return all the debris back into the pool.
5. POOL ROVER S2 40, US, JET, 115VAC/48VDC, BLUE
The Pool Rover is designed for above ground pools but can clean in-ground pools of up to 40 feet deep. It has a sleek design that allows for free maneuvering when cleaning and comes with an adjustable axle pin that comes in handy to help maximize coverage and also prevent cable tangling. The Pool Rover package comes with a power supply and controller, an already assembled Pool Rover and the 40-foot cable. It does not need complicated assembly; it is a plug-and-play robotic pool cleaner.
- The adjustable axle pin is very brittle and has to be handled with a lot of care, or you will risk breaking it.
4. Smartpool NC22 SmartKleen-Robotic Pool Cleaner
The Smartpool Robotic Cleaner has a simple deign and is quite efficient. Developed for both in-ground and above ground pools, this cleaner can work on all surfaces; fiberglass, vinyl or concrete. Due to its lightweight body, it is able to move with ease and cover all the pool spots with ease. Even in the event, it bumps into pool walls; it is unlikely to get any damage due to this fact. Its smart ability enables it to sense missed spots, and it turns back to redo them without the aid of the pool walls. An automatic shutdown button ensures that the cleaner switches itself off after two hours of cleaning.
- The Smart pool cleaner does not come with, and anti-tangle cable and that has to be done manually. Also, it is not designed to climb and clean pool walls.
3. Hayward RC9740 SharkVac Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner
This cleaner was built to work in any pool, the design notwithstanding. One of its most amazing features is that once dropped into the pool, it computes the pool size and picks on the best pattern to clean that particular pool. Another one of its great features is the Fast-Clean attribute that you can switch to which enables the cleaner to finish the cleaning job in one hour. If you do not opt for this, a cleaning job takes two hours with the cleaner on power saving mode, using up electricity similar to that of a power bulb.
- This is a very heavy unit and moving it around can be a challenge. Due to this aspect, it is not very good at doing pool wall cleaning.
2. Aquabot ABTTJET Turbo T Jet Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner
The Aquabot Cleaner comes with a 50-foot power cable which enables it to clean most pools. It also has two filter bags, a mesh bag for leaves and a 2-micron fine bag for dirt. The extra-wide marring wheels roll over floors and do not leave any marks as they are not powered, while the unit power washes all surfaces, cracks, and crevices using jet propulsion. Since it has a single motor unit, it reduces chemical, water, energy and replacement parts costs by up to 50%. With its patented Venturi jets, this pool cleaner is able to work faster saving you on precious time.
- The power supply of this cleaner does not have an adjustable timer function. Its buoyancy also needs to be increased by adding some extra floats.
1. Aquabot APRVJR Pool Rover Junior Robotic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner, Color May Vary.
This is the number one pool cleaner in the market currently, and comes with powerful vacuum’s that ensure easy, fast and efficient cleaning, regardless of the pool size. To boost efficiency, this Aquabot cleaner is fitted with a jet propulsion system that exerts pressure to ensure that all debris materials are removed. The automatic shut off timer switches off after two hours to save on power consumption, and you do not have to be around while the cleaning continues. It also has a reliable and convenient caddy while the filters are easy to remove and replace.
- With all its great features and performance, this is not a strong cleaner and malfunctions after a short period. It should be handled with care due to its delicacy.
Robotic pool cleaners give a superior clean compared to their manual counterparts. They also do not use the pool’s equipment but use power from your house, saving costs. All you need to do is plug in power and, the cleaner does the rest. Their ability to pick up small and large debris gives the pool a super clean feel for anybody who uses it.